Monday, November 1, 2010

WHAT MAKES YOU SOUTH AFRICAN?

I am completely aware that, this article’s scenery moderately has nothing to do with the arts, lifestyle and entertainment or celebrity scandal however, I think the solution for my question or point of view might be based on the South African collective status, to an extent adding to the lifestyle and entertainment substance.
There is a lot that this country has to offer, from the political dynamics, race, variety of languages, historical perspective, geographical setting, education, division of classes or standards and many other factors. With all of this mentioned, I then posed a question to myself as to, WHAT IS IT THAT MAKES ME A SOUTH AFRICAN? This does not add to whether or not, I am proud to be this country’s citizen, what I like or dislike, my opinions about certain issues and my future as a young black (or any other race) individual studying or hoping for a future in the communication industry (or any other field).
I also thought of this question as I was watching the public television, being SABC1, 2 and 3, reading the largest newspaper disseminated in the country, The Daily Sun, browsing through one of the “hypothetically” most viewed blogs, visiting South African posted videos on YouTube and in essence all these little things that, in my observation truly depicts our country and what the South African general public value or view as significant. 
In my thinking, I did not want to take into account internationally based  examples , such as our education system, wide range of global television charter screening, clothing trends, culture and other means of globalization.
I would then like you guys to inform me or assist me in an exploratory expedition of what it is that makes you a South African. The motive behind this article is that, personally I think that, media plays an enormous role in our behavior and how we view the country’s development or lack thereof and how most people base their decision on whether or not they like or dislike this country and any other personal based decision on the country at large.
I will use a dreadfully typical and indiscriminate example with Soweto and most white people. A large amount of the white raced people has never been to Soweto but, some have even written books about the place. Several are terrified of the place hence, never even been there and this is all the efforts from the media. How these “white” people perceive Soweto is totally based on what they see and read from the medium.
My point being, the media is a very powerful tool in how people perceive their standings or even self. However, I feel that the South African media is not aware of the portrayal they place to our country.
I then challenge you to inform me of what is it that you think MAKES YOU A SOUTH AFRICAN?
Drop me your comments, agree or disagree with what I say, let’s talk about it. Do you see what I’m seeing?

No comments:

Post a Comment