Friday, September 10, 2010

MBEKI AND OTHER PAINFUL NIGHTMARES

Characters of Thabo Mbeki and Julius Malema
Remember I told you guys about the Wits 969 Festival which has collaborated with the National Arts Festival and Arts Alive, yes, its ON and BANGING. Firstly I don’t like this group effort they have going on, as I feel , it is limiting people from attending the actual festival(NAF) because, they’ll just wait for the shows to have a re-run or feature at another festival , but anyways…


I went to watch Mbeki and other Nightmares at  Wits. I am not one for pure drama but, this one was one of the best politically based theatre work by students that I’ve ever seen.

The show premiered last year, taken to the National Arts Festival and now featured at the 969 Festival.

Tsepo Wa Mamatu and cast member
Mbeki and other Nightmares is about the politics within the leading political party, ANC. It begins from Thabo Mbeki’s departure to JHB after having been appointed president for the party, till the last straw when the party reappoints him from his position, appointing the current presidency in Jacob Zuma. The show also reveals  the so seen as “unintelligent” behavior and stimulus of the ANC Youth League President, Julius Malema.

Written and directed by Tsepo Wa Mamatu, the show deeply takes you through a political journey that you know but, not so much to understand. I was shocked, disillusioned and found myself crying to what I thought didn’t affect me. I’m not really fond of South African politics but, Wa Mamatu knows exactly how to direct the audience’s emotions and tell his story about all of us.

The show left me wondering how things are in that cabinet place called the  Parliament. From what I saw in the show, I can tell you that, things are very rough up there… Wa Mamatu shows us the ravenousness from politicians, the backstabbing and outrageous acts  for power. He tells us that, power corrupts not only the powerless but everyone.

The directing is astonishing; the acting is one I’ve never witnessed from any student production. The actors  were in character from start to end, considering that, generally the youth is very ignorant of politics. I was totally blown away. I’m sort of out of words describing the feeling further, except to persuade you guys to go and watch this show. You will not regret it. And you must come back and let me know of what you thought… Enjoy!

It is showing till the 11th of September 2010, during the Wits969 Festival @ the Wits Main Theatre. Drop me an e-mail or comment for more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment