Monday, September 20, 2010

A BORE AND A WASTE OF TIME!!

The Purr Factory (a musical at the UJ Arts Centre)
Jessica Urbani (Suzie Swishtail), Lonwabolwethu Ganelo (Vincent B. Mouseander), Thato Motsepe (Big Bottomed Bertha), Athenkosi Mali (Calton Wallader) and Angie Senwamere (Tina Troutmaster)

This is one of those shows that, I normally don’t want to review as they reflect both professionalism and third -rate standards, as I find myself conflicted as to how to base my  focus and on what terms should I root my review.
Thato Motsepe as Big Bottomed Bertha
I honestly feel that the UJ Arts Centre should start realizing the compactness, standard and value of their theatre.  That theatre is amongst the premium theatres that this country has to offer and with that mentioned, they should grade the type of shows to produce.  Gruesome shows degrade theatre worth.
The Purr Factory was not bad at all to watch, I have personally seen better. I must say although, I can’t wait for another musical, so I can erase it in my mind. 
The show is supposed to be targeted for children, a children theatre effort, with no “performers to children” interaction, excluding the pointless “meet and greet” endeavor at the end of the show.  I think research is important when producing such theatre work. 
The show is intended to be a musical with a so so musical quality, excluding a duet by Suzi Swishtail (Jessica Urbani) and Carlton Catwallader (Athenkosi Mali).  Apparently, as per programme, there is credit for the choreographer. And my question is ‘what choreography?; ” Owen Lonzar, the “supposed”  choreographer, seemed to have not been given the script, music and storyline. I feel like, he didn’t even know that the show needed dancing,  because   what seemed to be the choreography was very  frenzied, with no rhythm and one couldn’t tell the genre of dance. One moment I saw Michael Jackson’s “Thriller” sequence and the next a jazzy routine, cart wills and splits …I was like, what is going on here? Very shocking for a show that has over half a year worth of pre-production.
Lonwabolwethu Ganelo as Vincent B. Mouseander
On a positive side, the makeup was beautiful. Dennis Hutchinson did an amazing job with the set design and the costumes gave the show a bit of life, designed by mother and daughter, Ann and Kirsten Bailes. I sense like one of these days’ people will go to the theatre not for the performance but, merely to admire the set and costumes, especially in musicals.
As I mentioned earlier, I didn’t even want to review this show. I was not even feeling like watching it, apart from a few friends of mine performing. As for you, reading …I have no idea why you should go watch it  but, if you really feel bored  one night, with nothing on TV, all your friends busy, not feeling like Twitter or Facebook,  grab your sister’s son or daughter and go try it out. You’ll totally regret it but, it will be better than watching a repeat of the news on the E-News Channel.
The show is @ The UJ Arts Centre till the 25th of September 2010. Ticket cost R60 for adults and R30 for children, students and pensioners. Book at Computicet or contact 011 559 3058 or visit www.uj.ac.za/artscentre
UJ ARTS CENTRE


3 comments:

  1. wow yeah man after reading your post on journos being nice cause of the "perks" they get you are not holding any punches back wow... as much as i fear criticism as a performer good to see someone can CRAP on a show openly and not say sorry...
    P.S glad your blog started after A Midsummers Nights Dream.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree and support the note of not holding back your views on these issues. However, in my view, you can encourage people to go and watch BUT not determine whether or not they will like it.

    People attend the same events, but are never looking for the same things. So, you stating that they will not like it is, errrr, uhm, not cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get that and totally feel bad D. But it is my duty to inform objectively and freely. Remember, i sometimes am the link between the event/show and the public.

    Which is why i always leave them with SHOW INFO and CONTACTS just in case...

    I really enjoy reading your comments by the way...

    ReplyDelete