Friday, September 10, 2010

Jock of the Bushveld – The musical

The JOTB Ensemble
Beautiful African story told in a Western style… Shame!!




When I walk into the foyer and suddenly confronted by a garland of white Afrikaans old audience, I get petrified and begin to think, “Here we go”. Not that I’m against the audience but , just my fear of been taken to a world I don’t know and that world not portrayed simple enough and easily comprehendible for a young black township audience like myself, or anyone that doesn’t really know the history behind the story.


Suzzi Swanepoel as Fifi
This was the case with Jock of the Bushveld which opened on the 4th of September @ The Joburg Theatre, Nelson Mandela Stage. I NEVER sleep during a theatre performance, regardless of the genre. I found myself struggling to keep awake during Jock’s performance, bearing in mind that, I’m a sucker for musicals.

I was very disappointed but again, I was sort of expecting it …considering that dreadful Shaka Zulu The musical which was also presented by Packed House Productions and ABSA. I honestly feel bad for ABSA and their money being wasted so appallingly.

I respect Deon Opperman’s music composition and creativity even though, I’m not so sold on his directing but he’s good anyways. The only problem I have with the guy is his Western take on everything, especially when telling (South) African stories. He did the same thing with Shaka. It was very soft, lacking that African or animal drama. Like hard drumming, intense dramatization(s) that make you feel like you’re in a jungle while sitting in a middle high class theatre row at the Mandela Stage. This production didn’t have that, not even close.

JOTB Ensemble
I felt the show was long, uninteresting and pointless. I hope the lovers of the book do forgive me, but it’s the truth. Jock (Vaughan Gardiner) did not feel like a dog at all for me and I was not moved by the relationship he had with his master (Cobus Venter). The choreography was nonexistent (very saddened by Esther Nasser), considering the energetic nature that is associated with African animals. The music did not have any culmination or high rise; it was in a same level all throughout. A happy song sounded the same as a sad song. On the other hand, the costume (Sarah Roberts will never disappoint you, especially with African or animal stories) and stage design (Stan Knight’s work and lighting by Gerda Kruger) was beautiful though.

I think I’ve said enough but, above all, I am not so sure if South Africa has potential to create good musicals with international standards. There’s a lot we need to learn, one being, using EVERYTHING and EVERYONE we have in the entire country. Spreading opportunities evenly is vital. TUT and WITS School of Arts has massive talent, especially in musical theatre, with young, vibrant and fresh music composition capability.

People like Deon need to teach young people and assist in attracting funding for them and then create, tell and produce African stories with vuma , spirit and energy to represented Africa…Stop it with this ridiculous Western influence….If we want to grow.

Siyasanga Papu as Mama Hips
I am not discouraging you guys from watching this show but, do bear what I’ve mentioned in mind.

Jock of the Bushveld – The Musical, showing @ The Joburg Theatre, Nelson Mandela Stage, book ticket at Computicket.

No comments:

Post a Comment