Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Carmen – The ballet of a disaster

Cast of the SABT Company
 So I decided to take a promenade up in Braamfontein’s Joburg Theatre this Sunday to check out Carmen – The ballet by the South African Ballet Theatre. Now before I go on, I want you guys to know that, I dearly love ballet, I am wholly in love with the SABT as a company and believe in the power of ballet for therapy, entertainment and a fascinating fantasy.


This might be a bit too much for a description of “just” a ballet but there is absolute supremacy in the art of ballet, which explains the reason for its audience…

I am going to be brutally honest, but the show sucked. The choreography was shaky, there was no synchrony and it just felt like an old age home family performance. Maybe this feeling comes from my “not so fond” feeling for Anya Carstens who had the role of Carmen and my bewilderment over Escamillo played Xola Putye. The guy was awfully round and his behind blocked the entire audience from seeing other performers. He was atrocious!

I know for sure that, the performance I watched was sincerely a bad one due to circumstances and therefore decided to go watch it again this coming Friday. I also know that I will not be disappointed. I will then update you guys fully on what I thought and in the meantime, get yourself a ticket and see what you think… The show ends on Sunday the 29 of August, so it is very limited. Just visit www.joburgtheatre.co.za or contact 011 877 6898 to view the show times or book your ticket.

Let me go watch it again this Friday and we’ll chat then….

(Please read the comment for the Friday's review).

1 comment:

  1. So, yes i did go back to watch the show again with the lead played by Burnise Silvius...It was awesome but, there was something missing.

    The SABT needs a different approach. They can't be feeding us classic ballet dance works only. I feel that, they need to grow as a company. Sticl to classical ballet and also reinvent themselves...Engage in more contemporary dance works.

    There's a different dance world out there and the SABT is missing out BIG TIME....

    ReplyDelete